Coconut is the world’s most natural, authentic and safe drink. It is rich in natural salt, sugar and electrolytes. It is the perfect answer to cool our sweltering summers. As the temperatures soar and the heat of the sun is at its peak – a glass of coconut water can do wonders. Here’s how:
- It soothes the nerves and cools and refreshes the body.
- During summers our digestive system really suffers – coconut water can naturally relax our intestines, keep it healthy. It reduces chances of stomach infection. It reduces acid reflux. In fact it is often used to treat indigestion.
- It prevents urinary tract infections and reduces risk of kidney stones.
- Being high in nutrients and B vitamins – it increases immunity and has anti –bacterial and viral properties.
- It is a ‘heart tonic’. It improves blood circulation, lowers increased blood pressure. It reduces bad cholesterol and helps increase the good cholesterol; thereby reducing the risk of heart attacks.
- According to the United Nations, coconut water is similar to blood plasma chemically. It has been used to save lives in developing countries, where blood plasma wasn’t available.
- It is a natural anti-ageing solution that can give you a younger-looking skin. Rinse your face with it and it reduces eczema, wrinkles and age-spots
Right in the Middle of SUMMER, aren’t we?? Temperatures just seem to be on the rise – both outside & inside of us! We are literally on FIRE 😉 We can’t wait to get our hands on anything COLD – to just Chill and reduce the temperature. Summer brings with it hyperacidity, bloating, heaviness, constipation and loads of ‘loss of salt/electrolytes and dehydration’ issues. And if this was not all, many find their faces bloated too! (Dang!! There goes the selfie 😦 ) Let’s look at the health perspective of the Truly Yummy and yet, believed to be oh-so-unhealthy Drink!!
Sugarcane Juice – is the perfect remedy for all that heat fatigue, acidity and bloating and now add a dash of lime and this drink – can add the zing back to your dull day. This drink can help you flaunt the patli kamar contrary to popular belief that it is fattening!!
So how often can I have it – would be your next logical question & to that I say – daily 😀 .. Yups!! You heard me – peak noon, when the sweltering heat of the sun is unbearable and we crave a cold drink – is the ideal time to sip on a glass of baraf wala – nimboo wala – sugarcane juice.. Tastes Divine!!
To the skeptical, lost in calories people – yes it does have calories (like every other food item- and again I would rather have you to refer to my article on calories, before we set forth cursing them AGAIN!!) Sugar cane is flooded with nutrients, sugar, electrolytes and minerals!
Health Benefits for the Scientific Minds –
- Technically, sugarcane juice is rich in calcium, chromium, cobalt, copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium and zinc. It also contains iron and vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B3, B5, and B6, along with high concentration of phytonutrients, antioxidants, proteins and soluble fiber. All these nutrients work together to keep your body in a good and healthy shape.
- The sugar in the sugar cane juice is the natural sugar and not the refined one we tend to consume. This natural sugar – gives an instant kick of energy and quenches the thirst, which we badly need in this heat! It is good source of glucose which as we know, helps to re-hydrates the human body and gives it a boost of energy. So the next time you feel fatigued or dehydrated, consider drinking a glass of cane juice – Guilt free!!!
- The antioxidants in sugarcane juice help to fighting against infections and boost the immune system of the body. It also protects the liver against infections and helps in keeping the bilirubin levels in control. This is the reason that doctors advice drinking sugar cane juice to jaundice patients, as it is one of the few things that get digested without too much pressure on the liver and also helps in reducing the bilirubin levels. Did U Know – Sugarcane juice is probably our earliest known detox tonic???
- Another reason why it is an ideal summer drink is due to its high potassium content. Summers are the times when the digestive system may be slow as it is also dehydrated & fatigued. The high potassium makes it a good digestive aid. It helps in keeping the digestive system in good shape, prevents stomach infections and is considered to be particularly useful in treating the problem of constipation.
- And Ladies – to flaunt the soft supple skin even in this heat – this juice comes to your rescue!! Being high in antioxidants, as it has flavonoids and phenolic compounds it has the perfect ingredients to make the skin healthy, shiny, soft, supple, fair as well as prevents from early ageing and wrinkles. It rehydrates and moisturizes the body thus makes the skin soft and bright.
And again – Moderation is essential.. A glass is what you need, and it is very important to have it the minute it’s squeezed out, as the goodness gets evaporated quickly. And very importantly – check that your gannawala stores the sugarcane in a safe, hygienic manner, away from buzzing makkhis. Ideally, it would be great if you could, chew on the cane and allow the fibres to massage your gums.